Marshall Historical Society
HISTORICAL MARKER AT DICKSVILLE
Newspaper article: no source, no date
MARKER ERECTED NEAR DEANSBORO
State Commemorates Site of Brothertown Indian Camp
Deansboro -- A historical marker was recently erected by the New York State Education Department at Dicksville, about one and one- fourth miles from Deansboro on the Waterville road, in commemoration of the Brothertown Indians who, in 1788, were given a tract of land in this section.
The Indians established a settlement and lived there until 1850, when they were moved to Green Bay, Wis.
The marker has a dark blue background with yellow letters and has the following inscription: "Home of Brothertown Indians 1783-1850 Among Whom Lived 1789-1792 Samson Occum Indian Presbyterian Preacher."
The Indian minister endeavored to interest the Indians in agriculture and to build and maintain homes, and also ministered to their spiritual needs in a schoolhouse that served as a church.
An Indian named Asa Dick built and lived in the farm house now owned and occupied by Sims Wratten and family, the farm being situated near the center of the Brothertown tract. On this farm is a small Indian cemetery where, under the lilac bushes, are markers showing the place where some of the Brothertown Indians are buried.
Plans are being made for a dedication service to be held in September after school opens, date to be announced later.
[The marker is dated 1932.]
Deansboro -- September 15 at 2 p. m. appropriate exercises will be held for the Brothertown Indian marker recently placed on ground once occupied by the Brothertown Indians in Dixville.
There will be a speaker from Dartmouth College, as Samson Occum, a Brothertown Indian minister, was the first pupil of the Indian school which later became Dartmouth College.
Howard Miller, an authority on local Indian history, will give the history of the Brothertown Indians. There will be singing by the pupils of the Deansboro Graded School. If the weather is pleasant, the exercises will be held at the marker in Dixville; if unpleasant, in the Congregational Church.
|Web master: email@example.com||© 2007 - Marshall Historical Society|