Marshall Historical Society

Blanding Feed & Grain Company
Deansboro Feed & Lumber Company
Deansboro Supply Co.

By Janet Dangler, September 2020

Blanding Feed & Grain Company was located on Mill Street, just outside of the hamlet of Deansboro on the east side. It was supposedly built by Asa Dick of Brothertown Indian fame in 1836. Deansboro's first electric system was operated by Blanding. The construction of a dyke to channel water from the Oriskany Creek was built. You can still see the turbine behind the red barn on the west side of Mill Street (Route 315). The Marshall Town Board granted a permit to Blanding Feed & Grain Company to lay a temporary track across Mill Street to convey cars loaded with earth used to raise the embankments to the dike. The site was large — it stretched over both sides of Mill Street behind the red barn on the west side.

In December, 1916, W.D. Allen, president of the mill, petitioned the court to have the name changed to Deansboro Feed & Lumber Company. As well as supplying feed for farm animals, it was a grist mill and a vinegar and cider factory.

Fire broke out in the rear portion of the business in 1922, probably due to spontaneous combustion. The entire plant, with the exception of the lumber shed and store house, was reduced to ashes. According to an account in the Waterville Times, the office fixtures and some books were saved, but all the contents, which included a quantity of feed and lumber, were destroyed. Much credit is given the Deansboro firemen who did wonderful work in keeping the surrounding buildings from being destroyed as several times it seemed as though the green house of Miss Adelaide Foote, across the street, would also be destroyed. Deansboro was also impacted, as the electric power plant which was located in the complex was put out of commission. The entire telephone service was also cut off. Damage was estimated to be in the thousands of dollars. The next spring, construction began on building a new mill to replace the one that burned, and it was said it was going to be like the mills of God, grinding exceedingly fine, and a credit to the community.

A 1931 article in the Waterville Times states that The Deansboro Feed and Lumber Co. sold their branch of the business consisting of the feeds and grain to Moses Brothers of Eaton. The new owners operated the mill, while the company continued with the lumber and machinery at their location on Mill Street.

A certificate was filed to change the name again to Deansboro Supply Company in 1932. This company appeared to be leaning more toward supplying farming equipment, such as John Deere tractor and a John Deere Power Corn Binder. They carried wheels and wagons, although they still carried feed. Fred Nelson was owner of the mill.

In January, 1947, Claude Hinman announced he had purchased the feed store formerly owned and operated by the Deansboro Supply Company. The store was under the management of Bill Youngs, formerly with Moses Cronk Company. The building burned in 1962 and was never rebuilt.

Many thanks to Sue Fryc for the copies from the Deansboro Supply Company booklet.

Index | Historical articles
Creative Commons License